Tuesday 27 November 2012

Meditation Practitioners

For my community images I have chosen to do them at a meditation center as it's something i'm interested in myself and I think it'll be something different to show. I got several reject offers as many of the places were really private. I finally got hold of Ashoka meditation center which has a class in Penryn and Falmouth, so perfect for access. I have been emailing them for about 2 weeks and they've been asking all the staff and everything, I just have to sort out a date which is okay for them to do. I am really excited for this shoot!

For my community shoot I wanted to show the relationship between the practitioners and also the dedication they have for what they have faith in. I managed to arrange a date after all and instead of going to a centre Richard the main practitioner said it'd be better to do a shoot at his house with a few of his friends. I went to the house and was a bit nervous at first but they were all really welcoming and as I have an interest in Buddhism it helped. The room they were all going to meditate in was quite small and it had Buddha paintings and trinkets everywhere. The practitioners all came in and sat on their cushions, Richard then started a cd which played the mantras. They read from a mantra book and chanted, it was very atmospheric and I felt serene whilst photographing them. His cat also came and joined in which was funny, it kept drinking their tea.

These are a couple of photographs I got of them..




No comments:

Post a Comment