Tuesday 1 April 2014

Oliver's



A few weeks ago I had a six hour assignment where we had a topic to photograph for a couple of hours then had to come back edit, caption and upload to a 'news blog'.  I had the subject of 'Restaurants & Street Food Review', I first thought of all the restaurants in Falmouth and there are quite a few, I rang some places up firstly trying all the vegetarian places as I thought that could be my story angle. As of the short notice a lot of people unfortunately said no but I rang a place called 'Oliver's' who are a local fresh produce restaurant on the high street and Wendy Symon's the owner said she'd be happy for me to come along.

It was a lovely restaurant which has been around for 5 years, owned by Wendy Symon's and her husband is the chef called Ken. They only cook fresh produce from Cornwall and have a variety of dishes that they change all the time to create new cuisine for their guests and to keep up with season. One of Ken's recipes has even made it into a cookery book which they are both very proud of. Wendy  mainly hosts and waits the guests on her own during the day, she is very warm and welcoming to them. She has a waitress help her in the evenings and an extra cook in the kitchen for Ken as it gets  quite busy for them otherwise. 

Jean, 70, eats at Oliver's every day for lunch
"You get made to feel special and the food is out of this world"




















I also photographed the food market as I had to wait for a while for Oliver's to open for lunch and thought I'd get the street food part of my assignment done. I went to the market and met a lady Lucy Trinder who works for The Little Cornish Deli in Penryn she was selling spices, olives and mixes. They are getting a new shop in Falmouth this year.  I also met Dave Busker who has a stall for the food his wife and son makes on his farm Cornish Mill Bakehouse. So together I have collated some images that show all the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment